Monday, September 15, 2008

Some songs just need a little more....cowbell


Since I've just started my two-month Wardrobe Refashion pledge, I thought it might be appropriate to "refashion" one of my favorite songs about style. Whenever I hear Cake's "Short Skirt, Long Jacket," I picture Astrid in about 13 years. She certainly seems like someone who might someday "use a machete to cut through red tape."

What better way to take a great song "to the next level" (god, I hate that phrase) by mixing in a little--OK, a *lot*--of cowbell?

If you want to try it yourself--with this great song or another of your choosing--go to MoreCowbell.dj

(Two confessions: I tried to embed the code from the site onto this blog, but there's an error in the code, and I'm not HTML literate enough to fix it, plus all the copyright legalese sort of scared me, in a way that my husband's disapproval and tsk-tsking usually doesn't. So I'm giving you a thoroughly public-domain picture of a cowbell instead.)

(Another confession: our family [husband included] also greatly enjoyed cowbelling songs like The Modern Lovers' "Modern World" and Velvet Underground's "I'm Waiting for the Man," though Mo Tucker's drumming on the latter tune actually make the cowbell seem a bit redundant. Is that possible?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the SNL sketch about the song "Don't fear the reaper"? Get your cowbell fix with that one!